Thursday 29 December 2016

Mirror's Edge of Darkness




So, Mirrors Edge Catalyst is completed. I’m not sure whether I really like the game or really loathe the game. It’s probably a bit of both.

I never played the original so I missed out on probably most of the backstory of the original. The heroine Faith, comes across as a rather bland cardboard cut-out. One aspect of movies and games in general is that if there are flashbacks to the charactors childhood, then one part of the past believed to be the truth is in fact false. I half guessed early on what the twist was and from then on it played out as expected. Faith’s rather blasé reaction to it only reinforced my view of it.

The story is rather boring. The parkour element of the game is easily the highpoint. The fun of running around a rather lifeless environment is the only really redeeming feature of the game.

The biggest problem is quite simply the appalling melee combat system and the stick men that you fight. Maybe I’m just old and useless but the amount of time I completely lost sight of who I was meant to be fighting or zoomed past them was really horrific. There are no boss fights, the best fight in the game is a cut scene at the end and by the time the final chapters start its far easier to just run away from them instead of fighting them.

All in all, Mirrors Edge Catalyst is an average experience and I’m glad that I only got the game on Origin Access as I wouldn’t have liked to have dumped the full price on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment